Summary of Super Storm Sandy's Fierce Assault
London, UK - 31st October 2012, 10:40 GMT
Dear ATCA Open & Philanthropia Friends
[Please note that the views presented by individual contributors are not necessarily representative of the views of ATCA, which is neutral. ATCA conducts collective Socratic dialogue on global opportunities and threats.]
• Vast destruction zone spans the United States -- from North Carolina on the east-coast to as far west as Michigan -- and then beyond into Canada;
• Death toll has crossed 50, including 18 in New York;
• US President has declared "major disaster" in New Jersey and New York;
• 8.5 million households in 17 states are without power;
• 3 nuclear power reactors shut down because of electricity issues according to the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC);
• 4th nuclear plant -- Oyster Creek in New Jersey -- remains in "alert" mode because of high water levels in its water intake structure according to NRC;
• Initial estimates of broad economic losses range from $20 billion to $50 billion -- which is less than 0.1% of US GDP -- although these numbers could go sharply higher in days ahead;
• Every coastal state has experienced flooding;
• Inland flooding has grown as rain -- and snow in some cases -- continued to fall over much of the eastern United States and parts of Canada;
• The United Nations is concerned that flooding could lead to a sharp rise in cholera cases;
• Heavy snowfall accumulation threatened to prolong power outages and make movement difficult in West Virginia and in western North Carolina and Virginia;
• New York City faces a city-wide paralysis of historic proportions:
a. Subway is flooded and it will take 4-5 days at least to return online and it may take even longer before the entire system is working;
b. 80 homes burned down in coastal Queens;
c. Power may not return to lower Manhattan until the end of the weekend;
d. Seven tunnels under the East river are flooded;
e. Commuter rail is out;
f. Many key airports remain closed;
g. Bus services are partial; and
h. Schools remain closed.
• Aid workers are worried about a food crisis in Haiti, where the super storm caused 52 deaths last week; and
• Death toll is touching 70 as a result of the super storm across the Caribbean..
Super Storm Sandy’s Fierce Assault
What are your thoughts, observations and views? We are hosting an Expert roundtable on this issue at ATCA 24/7 on Yammer.
Expert roundtables are the newly launched ATCA 24/7 Q&A private exclusive club service. They seek to become the killer application in strategic intelligence by delivering an unprecedented competitive advantage to our distinguished members. They can only be accessed online at https://www.yammer.com/atca
Q1: How to become a privileged member of ATCA 24/7 to participate in the expert roundtables?
A1: i. If you are a distinguished member of ATCA 5000, ATCA Open, The Philanthropia or HQR affiliated groups you may be allowed to become a privileged member of this new and exclusive private club.
ii. If you are pre-invited, visit the private intelligence network -- PIN -- by going to https://www.yammer.com/atca [Note: In https:// 's' is for security and encryption]
iii. If you don't have membership of the PIN yet, email the mi2g Intelligence Unit at intelligence.unit at mi2g dot com for an exclusive invitation.
Q2: How to participate in the expert roundtables and get domain-specific strategic intelligence questions answered?
A2: Access the ATCA 24/7 Private Intelligence Network -- PIN -- online and ask or answer a strategic intelligence question, no matter how complex. Receive expert answers within 24 hours or get pointers from:
i. ATCA 5000 experts who are online;
ii. ATCA Research and Analysis Wing; and
iii. mi2g Intelligence Unit.
Q3: Why is the ATCA 24/7 Q&A Exclusive Club special?
A3: ATCA 24/7 has now created an exclusive private intelligence watering hole and expert roundtable at the highest level where interesting and sophisticated questions are being asked from around the world, and intelligent answers are being provided, almost always by experts who have deep domain-specific knowledge. Come and check out the exclusive club, take it for a strategic test drive, which sign-of-intelligent life are you waiting for?
To learn more about "The Expert Roundtable: ATCA 24/7 Q&A Club" email: intelligence.unit at mi2g.com and if you are already a member visit https://www.yammer.com/atca
We welcome your thoughts, observations and views. To reflect further on this subject and others, please respond within Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn's ATCA Open and related discussion platform of HQR. Should you wish to connect directly with real time Twitter feeds, please click as appropriate:
. ATCA Open
. mi2g Intelligence Unit
. Open HQR
. DK Matai